Women’s Legal Centre (ACT & Region) Inc
The Women’s Legal Centre (ACT & Region) Inc is a community legal centre for women in Canberra and the surrounding area. The Centre is run by women and aims to improve women’s access to justice by:
- providing legal information and advice;
- referring to sympathetic lawyers and other support services;
- running community legal education sessions;
- producing information for women about their rights, the legal system, and the law;
- doing research, law reform, and lobbying activities that help to remove barriers to women’s access to justice; and
- publishing a quarterly newsletter about our activities.
The Centre advises on a wide range of legal problems such as:
- divorce and separation;
- disputes over children;
- property settlement;
- domestic violence;
- child support;
- going to court;
- unfair dismissal;
- other employment rights; and
- compensation for criminal injuries.
If you need more assistance than we can provide, or if your problem is outside our area of expertise, we will refer you to appropriate lawyers and other support services.
The Centre offers free, confidential telephone advice Monday to Friday between 9.30am and midday
- (From Canberra) 02 6257 4499
- (Outside Canberra) 1800 634 669
- (For women who do not speak English) Translating and Interpreting Service TIS 131 450
- (For women with hearing or speech difficulties who use a TTY or computer modem) National Relay Service 13 25 44 and ask for 02 6257 4499
There is no drop-in service at the Centre. Unless you have made an appointment, there is unlikely to be a lawyer able to see you.
Appointments can be made for a time between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and between 5.30pm and 7.00pm every Tuesday.