Central Australian Women’s Legal Service
The Central Australian Women’s Legal Service (CAWLS) is a community based legal service.
CAWLS is managed by a voluntary committee of Central Australian women.
CAWLS provides free legal advice to all Central Australian women. Special concern is extended to women who are:
- Affected by domestic violence
- Living in remote communities
- Unable to afford access to other legal services
Confidentiality is assured.
CAWLS provides free advice in:
- Domestic violence
- Family law
Ongoing legal representation is available in some
Domestic Violence Duty Lawyer Service
A lawyer from CAWLS attends the Alice Springs Magistrates Court on Monday mornings to assist women with domestic violence matters.
Community Legal Education
CAWLS provides information sessions and workshops about legal issues affecting women. For more information on the education and training available or to request Community Legal Education for your group or organisation, please contact CAWLS on (08) 8952 4055.
CAWLS travels to assist women living in remote areas, including Tennant Creek, Ali Curung, Santa Teresa, Titjikala, Hart’s Range and Ampilatwatja. To find out more about remote community visits, FREE CALL 1800 684 055.
CAWLS can also provide telephone advice to remote clients.
Where necessary, CAWLS assists clients with referrals to other legal services and support agencies.
CAWLS is actively involved in law reform.
We do this by:
• Contributing to parliamentaryand law reform inquiries
• Meeting with politicians and government representatives
• Making statements to the media
- Drop-in domestic violence and victim of crime service
- Free advice sessions by appointment
- Evening appointments are also available
Monday – Friday
8.30 am – 5.00 pm
(08) 8952 4055
or free call 1800 684 055